At its heart, Enterprise Analytics at UCF is a framework that aligns four (4) key focus areas that will provide the university with the necessary strategic direction, infrastructure, data governance, and reporting capabilities. Improving those areas will enable UCF to become fully data-enabled that will drive real data-driven business decisions and actions. This framework was developed after months of assessment and multidisciplinary workshops which helped to shape and understand UCF’s current state and its future direction with respect to how data and analytics are deployed and managed.
UCF Enterprise Analytics Framework and Philosophy
Maturing UCF’s data and analytics capabilities require a structured strategy to help set the overall direction, prioritize activities, and implement the necessary governance and technology to support efforts. UCF’s framework is flexible and does not specify a sequence to its elements. Rather, it provides a foundation around four key areas that focus on the structures, processes, and systems needed to achieve a level of analytics excellence UCF is striving for.
Comprised with key members of university leaders who align analytics activities with institutional goals and initiatives.
- Sets the guiding principles and strategic direction for university data and analytics efforts both short and long-term.
- Ensure Data Governance and overall university data strategy is deployed and controlled across campus
- Champions university wide data and analytics efforts
- Ensure resources are strategically allocated to maintain and advance efforts
The overall data governance and management of processes to provide UCF with top-down oversight of data assets and to facilitate bottom-up data stewardship.
- Provide the standardized, scalable, and secure tools and processes to support university-side data stewardship and data domain management.
- Championing the development and implementation of data governance solutions and processes required to meet the information needs of the university.
- Deliver and maintain a university wide business glossary and data catalog
- Develop and mature the data culture, capabilities, and infrastructure to govern and manage data at UCF
The strategic alignment and deployment of the technology needed to support a maturing analytics environment.
- Ensure alignment between Information Technology (IT) and the analytics technology needs of the university.
- Coordinate key activities that require complex technology and data integrations which deliver data, reporting, or other analytics.
- Implement, develop, and maintain the Enterprise Data Warehouse
- Ensure the technology infrastructure surrounding data and reporting provides a high-level of ROI to the university.
Driven by the Institutional Analytics and Reporting unit that develops, manages, and sets the direction for the university’s data strategy for data, reporting, and analytics activities.
- Guides data and resource usage and advises on acquisitions of reporting and analytics tools and software to align with strategic initiatives and to reduce duplication and redundancy of university efforts
- Staffed with functional area experts, report developers, and research analysts to facilitate the development and delivery of complex, cross-domain analytics and reports.
- Develops and provides education and skills training for the university on best practices related to data usage, analytics, report development and delivery.
- Drive change management and promote the best use of reporting and analytics.